What is a criminal injury?

In the UK there are various types of different criminal injuries which can be claimed for. We understand that being a victim of a violent crime can be an extremely traumatic experience and for some the scars that are left behind also leave a lasting memory with them. We feel people who have unfairly suffered a physical injury due to violent crime shouldn’t have to continue to suffer for longer than they have to after the crime has ended.

Unfortunately, for some, the violent actions of someone else can seriously impact on the victim’s quality of life, both physically and mentally, this is why we are here to help, although we cannot undo the violent actions we can help you claim the compensation you deserve, helping you regain some normality.

If you have suffered a physical or psychological injury due to being targeted by a violent criminal or became injured as a result of a criminal act, then you have a legal right to claim criminal injury compensation.

Compensation cannot turn back the clock and undo your pain and suffering but it can assist in helping you improve your way of life after the criminal act if you would like to find out more contact our team today on 08000 250 250 to discuss your rights and options. All our calls are free, confidential and on a no-obligation basis, so you don’t have to worry or feel pressured into making a claim.

Who do I claim criminal injury compensation from?

The responsibility of controlling the administration of The Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme in the UK belongs to The Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA).

The CICA is an organisation which is funded by the government with the sole purpose of providing compensation to the innocent victims of violent crimes.

If you or a loved one have been a victim of a violent crime and as a result suffered either physically or mentally you could be entitled to claim criminal injury compensation under The Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme. This scheme outlines innocent victims that have suffered due to a violent crime could claim a compensation amount from £1,000 up to £500,000 for their injuries.

If you would like to find out more about claiming criminal injury compensation, then contact our legally trained advice team today.

I have suffered a criminal injury, can I claim from the CICA?

It is the decision of the CICA as to whether compensation is awarded when making a criminal injury claim; they will base their decision on the rules as set out in The Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme.

The Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme sets out criteria to determine who can make a claim. For a victim to be eligible to receive compensation, they must qualify for the minimum conditions set; you could claim criminal injury compensation if:

  • The criminal act was reported promptly to the police without delay – if the CICA feel the report was made in an unreasonable timeframe it could result in a rejection of your claim
  • The injuries sustained to meet the minimum award amount of £1,000 – if you’re unsure about this our team can help by assessing your injuries and giving you an estimated award amount
  • You are within the 2 year limitation period – you have two years from the date of the criminal incident to make a claim for criminal compensation; however, there are circumstances where this limitation may not apply and you can still claim from the CICA, this limitation wave is commonly found in cases of sexual abuse or assault
  • The criminal act took place in the UK

How much am I entitled to

The amount of compensation you receive will be dependent upon your injury.

As long as you meet the requirements to receive compensation, as set out under The Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme, then you will receive an amount based upon the tariffs which are set out, examples of these are as follows:

  • Whiplash/strained neck injury (lasting more than 13 weeks) = £1,000
  • Loss of a tooth (front) = £1,500
  • Significant scarring of the face = £1,500
  • Fracture to the jaw = £1,500
  • Detached retina = £3,500
  • Fracture to the skull (which requires an operation) = £4,600

How do I make a claim for criminal injury compensation?

If you want to make a claim for criminal injuries, then contact our specialist CICA claims team today. After finding out a few details, we can advise if you have a claim with us and an estimate of how much compensation you could receive.

We can get the ball rolling in minutes, so if you want to start your claim today contact us either via phone on 08000 250 250 or fill in our online form and arrange a callback, all our initial consultations are free, confidential and under no-obligation.

We're here to help

Contact us for a free initial consultation

Was the Accident your fault?


Did you receive medical attention?


Calculate Your Injury Claim

Know Your Claim In 30 Seconds

Check My Claim