Have you made your council/housing association house your home and would now like to buy the property? Contact us today to see if your eligible for the Right to Buy or Right to Acquire Scheme.

What is the Right to Buy/Right to Acquire Scheme?

The Right to Buy Scheme is a policy within England and Wales that allows secure tenants, and some housing associations, the legal right to purchase, at a discounted rate, the council house they are living in.

The Right to Acquire Scheme is similar to the Right to Buy Scheme but this is for assured tenants and the discount on the purchase price may not be as great.

Why do I need a conveyancer?

As well as all kinds of official paperwork a conveyancer can also perform additional searches that you may not even be aware about to ensure the entire process of your purchase goes as smoothly as possible and there are no unexpected issues during or after.

What is the process?

To begin you conveyancer will draw up the terms of engagement, outlining the service they will provide and fees payable.

Once this is done they will then contact the seller’s solicitor to obtain the building’s titles and other official documentation.

Property searches will then be carried out at this point, these are local authority searches including, Land Registry, water authority, environmental search, flood risks, chancel repair and any other local-specific checks e.g mining searches.

Ensuring you have the fund available to pay the amount offered your conveyancer will begin to write up the relevant contracts, arrangements will then be made for you and the seller to sign them.

Your conveyancer may also contact you at this point to discuss the property in full detail explaining any issues you may have.

They will then exchange contracts and register property ownership with the Land Registry.

This is now the completion of the main steps, your conveyancer will now help with the overall completion ensuring everything is finalised including paying Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT).

Even though the Right to Buy/Acquire Scheme is very much a similar process to buying a new home there are other things that you need to be conscious about:

  • Discount repayment – if you have had a discount applied when purchasing your home and you decide to sell the property within 5 years of purchase then you will be required to pay all or part of the discount back.
  • Right to Buy back within 10 years – if you decide to sell your property within 10 years of the purchase then you have to offer the previous landlord (housing association or council you purchased the property from) the option to purchase the property back at the market value, this is known as the Right of Pre-emption.

I want to purchase my council/housing association property, how do I start?

If you are unsure if you are eligible for the Right to Buy/Acquire Scheme then our legally trained team are here to help. We can assist you in find out if you are eligible and get you matched up with an experienced solicitor that will help take the complication and stress out of the entire process. Contact us today.

We're here to help

Contact us for a free initial consultation

Was the Accident your fault?


Did you receive medical attention?


Your information will be used to contact you about the services we provide, through the contact methods you select above. Please call us or reply to any communication from us if you no longer consent to us storing your data or contacting you.

are different.
We promise

  • No Hidden Cost
  • Same day Response
  • Direct lawyers Contact
  • First Consultation Free

We are always here to help?

If you'd prefer to speak to us on the phone to find out if you could claim, or if you have any questions, please call us free of charge on 08000 250 250