I have had an accident in a supermarket, how do I know if I can claim?
Whilst shopping we trust that the supermarket owner has taken all precautions to ensure our safety and reduce all risks; however, it is common for shoppers to have an accident whilst shopping, figures going into the thousands each year.
Whilst it is easy to blame ourselves for an accident, if your injury was caused due to an unsafe environment then it could be the supermarket at fault. There are safety regulations that supermarkets have to abide by to ensure their customers are safe, so if you have been injured due to these regulations not been properly implemented then contact us now to find out how we can help.
If a supermarket has failed to do any of the following and as a result, you have been injured in the last three years then you could be eligible to claim:
- Signpost hazards or spillages as soon as possible
- Remove hazards or spillages as soon as possible
- Ensure the environment is safe and free from contamination
- Make sure structures or equipment are properly maintained, so they don’t cause you harm
- Properly follow safety practices as set out by the Health and Safety Executive
Depending on your circumstances it can be difficult to tell if someone has acted negligently or caused your accident to happen. If the above list doesn’t cover what has happened to you it doesn’t mean you cannot claim and there is still a chance we can help. Contact our legal advice team today on 08000 250 250 or fill out our online form. We can tell you in minutes if you have a compensation claim, then if you decide you want to make a claim, we can get everything set up in one quick and easy call.
What are the causes of supermarket accidents?
The occurrence of supermarket accidents is usually when the health and safety regulations and procedures have not been correctly followed.
Regulations, legislation and advice are all outlined by The Health and Safety Executive to ensure the safety of supermarket shoppers and workers. A failure to follow these rules can mean accidents are more likely to happen. Some of the more common causes are:
- Trips – it is important for supermarkets to keep their aisles clear of hazards that can cause people to trip to reduce the risk of accidents. We understand it is easy for items to get dislodged, fall out of place etc. however, with the correct procedures and stacking techniques this can be avoided
- Wet floors – there are many ways in which a floor can become wet in a supermarket e.g. cleaning the floor, spillage, leaking fridges/freezers or customers walking in when it is raining outside etc.
It is the duty of the supermarket to ensure that floors are dried as soon as possible and to alert customers of the hazard by using warning signs.
- Dangerous machinery and equipment – due to the multiple different tasks, heavy items and high storage areas there are various different types of machinery and equipment used in a supermarket. It is important for the supermarket to ensure everything is regularly checked and maintained e.g. shelving is safe to hold stock or forklift is safe to transport stock
A failure to carry out these checks can lead to a high risk of an accident occurring e.g. shelving structures collapsing or a forklift malfunctioning which can lead to serious injuries.
The above are just a few examples so if what has happened to you isn’t there don’t worry, it doesn’t mean you cannot claim, it is likely we can help if you have been involved in an accident in the last three years that wasn’t your fault. Contact our team and find out how we can help you claim the compensation you deserve.
What should I do if I have been involved in a supermarket accident?
If you have been involved in a supermarket accident, in order to improve your compensation claims success, there are a few things you can do:
- Report the incident to the supermarket – either report your accident to the manager or the customer service desk. They should get you to complete an accident form, however, if this isn’t within the supermarket’s procedure then request the manager to record your accident in the supermarket’s accident book
- Find out if any other shopper/s witnessed your accident – gaining names and contact details of people who have seen what has happened means you will have an independent witness who can provide a statement
- Taking photographs of the scene – if your accident happened due to a wet floor without a sign or due to broken paving, photographs will evidence the cause of your accident/injury
The above will give a great chance of success when claiming compensation, however, if you haven’t done any of the above then don’t worry it doesn’t mean you don’t have a claim nor does it mean you will not be successful, call our team today on 08000 250 250 or fill out our online form and find out if we can help you.
I want to make a claim for my supermarket accident, how can I do this?
If you have been in an accident that wasn’t your fault in the last three years and have sustained an injury, then we can help you claim the compensation you deserve.
Starting your personal compensation claim today couldn’t be easier. Contact our legal advice team and we will be able to guide you further on the process, answer any questions you may have and assess your claim. All of our calls are free and confidential with no-obligation.
No pressure will ever be put on you to make a claim but if you do decide you want to proceed with our services we can get your claim set up today with one of our experienced specialist solicitors who have a proven success rate.
We will tell you if we can work on your claim on a No Win No Fee basis so you don’t need to worry about any more financial stress whilst recovering.
How can I fund my claim?
At Direct Solicitors, we believe everybody should be able to exercise their legal rights and gain the justice they deserve. That’s why if you’re eligible to claim compensation, we will take your claim on a No Win No Fee basis.
No Win No Fee means there are no upfront costs for pursuing your claim and if your claim is unsuccessful you will not have to pay a penny.
No Win No Fee agreements give people who cannot afford legal representation the opportunity to pursue their legal rights and gain justice by getting the support they require to make a compensation claim.
Our solicitors will work on a success fee basis rather then charging you any upfront costs but if for any reason, we cannot take your claim on a No Win No Fee basis then we will tell you straight away and discuss other options available to you.
So if you feel like you have been let down, let us help you back up. Contact our team today on 08000 250 250 or fill out our online form and find out how we can help you get the compensation you need without the added financial stress.