I’ve had a factory accident but how do I know if I have a personal compensation claim?

There are laws and regulations that are put in place to ensure your safety in the workplace; your employer has to follow these. Your employer must follow the laws and regulations set out in The Health and Safety at Work Regulations Act 1974, alongside any other specific regulations depending on the type of workplace.

There are many ways your employer is required to ensure a safe working environment such as:

  • Ensuring the machinery is checked, making sure it isn’t faulted and complies with safety checks
  • Training you for your specific role e.g. if you need to use machinery
  • Keeping the floor clear of hazards, slips, trip and falls are common, it is important there are no hazards such as spilt liquids, boxes, discarded wrapping
  • Ensuring you have the correct safety equipment for your role e.g. safety goggles, steel toe-capped boots or visibility jackets
  • Regular risk assessments, this to help with the prevention of accidents happening, by assessing the potential risks your employer can take the required steps to prevent the worst from happening

The above are common examples so if you have had an accident but cannot relate to the above then don’t worry, there are various ways in which your employer owes you a duty of care and if they have “breached” this duty, then we can still help.

Contact our legal advice team today on 08000 250 250 or fill out our online form and we can call you back, if you’re still unsure if you can claim, or just want to discuss more your personal experience then we’re here to listen, advise and help you step-by-step.

What are the other specific regulations?

In 1961, due to employers cutting corners and brushing safety procedures aside a piece of legislation was introduced, The Factories Act. This Act provided a detailed minimum expectancy for factory standings including issues regarding:

  • Temperature
  • Overcrowding
  • Ventilation
  • Cleanliness
  • Drainage of floors
  • Lighting

Alongside The Factories Act 1961, there are also the Six Pack Regulations; these were introduced in 1992 to protect the health and safety of all workers. The main regulations included in the “Six Pack” are in regards to risk assessments. However, other regulations include requirements for rest breaks, handling of heavy loads, personal protective equipment (PPE), heating, ventilation and lighting.

Not following these regulations may mean your employer has broken the law, as well as putting you at risk. Negligence can lead to accidents, so if you have been injured as a result of someone else’s negligence, then you could be entitled to claim compensation. Contact our team today on 08000 250 250 or fill out our online form to find out how we can help you on a No Win No Fee basis.

What are the types of factory accidents, I can claim for?

There are many different reasons and can, therefore, lead to a wide variety of injuries. Some of the common causes are:

  • Slip, trip or fall
  • Falling from a height
  • An accident involving machinery
  • Forklift truck
  • Lifting heavy objects

While these causes can lead to many different types of injuries some of the outcomes can be life-changing or even fatal.

However, minor or severe you feel your injury maybe if you have been involved in an accident that wasn’t your fault then we can help you gain the compensation you deserve.

What is a severe injury?

Factories can be hazardous and therefore, those unfortunate enough to be involved in a factory accident can be left with severe injuries. We know being involved in an accident can be traumatising, if your accident has to lead to a severe injury then we can only imagine the impact it has had but don’t worry or feel like you have no options, Direct Solicitors is here for you.

We know compensation will not reverse everything that has happened, but it can go towards helping you get a bit of normality back and take away some of the stresses cause financially by accident.

Compensation can help you adjust to the impact of your injuries, support your family by helping pay the bills, fixing your bike or even help pay for medication, treatment or rehabilitation.

If you’re unsure whether you are suffering/suffered a severe injury, then contact us today, whether your injury is minor or severe chances are we can still help, however, your injury is likely to be classed as severe if:

  • You have had to have on-going medical treatment
  • Your hospital visits were long and/or repetitive
  • You’ve had a lengthy period of time off work

If you have been severely injured then compensation can also help make adaptations to your home, help pay for additional care and even helping long-term with the finances if you have had a long period of time off work or had to change your job due to your capacity changing.

We understand you may not feel ready to talk about what you have been through yet, but when you do we’re here for you.

Contact our legal advice team on 08000 250 250 or fill out our online form and our friendly legal team is happy to help, advise and support you on a no-obligation basis and if you decide you want to make a claim we can get everything set up in one phone call and one of our experienced solicitors can start work on your claim today.

Will I lose my job if I make a claim?

This is a common concern amongst people initiating a personal compensation claim for a workplace accident.

It is actually illegal for an employer to terminate an employment contract with an employee, or even discipline them due to making a claim. If an employee has been injured at work and processes a personal compensation claim against the employer, then there are UK laws in place to protect the employee to ensure they have the right to pursue their legal rights with no personal repercussions.

However unlikely, if you do lose your job as a result of processing a personal compensation claim, then you’ll have a legal right to take action against your employer.

Who will pay my compensation?

This is another common query amongst people making a work accident claim, but don’t worry, making a claim won’t mean your employer will have any financial pressure and they will not be left out-of-pocket.

Your employer should have “liability insurance”, this means that if an employee is injured at work, they are covered.

This means your compensation will be paid by the insurance company providing the policy and you will not be taken directly from your employer.

I had an accident/diagnosis within the last three years but my company no longer exist, can I still claim?

As long as your employer held a valid liability insurance policy at the time of your accident and the insurance company can be traced, then you can still make a claim.

If you want to find out more about claiming and who is responsible for paying you compensation, then contact our team today on 08000 250 250 or fill out our online form.

Thinking about making a claim? Contact us today and see how we can help

Our solicitors have years of experience and specialise in workplace personal compensation claims. We can process your claim on a No Win No Fee basis, meaning you don’t have to worry about financially finding your claim if you don’t win you don’t pay a penny.

Our advice is free and confidential with no-obligation so if you want to find out more about making a claim if you’d be entitled and what else we can do for you then call today on 08000 250 250 or fill out our online form and we can call you.

  • No Win No Fee
  • Help accessing medical support and rehabilitation
  • Longstanding links with foreign law experts
  • Offices across the UK

We're here to help

Contact us for a free initial consultation

Was the Accident your fault?


Did you receive medical attention?


Calculate Your Injury Claim

Know Your Claim In 30 Seconds

Check My Claim